Originally a feudal castle from the 9th and 10th century, all that now remains of the building is the wall and a ruin to its right.
In 1916, the artist Pierre Brune (1887 – 1956) moved to Céret. He chose the ancient site of the chateau as a site for his house, going on to welcome friends from the art world such as Soutine, Krémègne, Masson and Loutreil.
One only has to view the landscapes painted by Brune to see clear evidence of his love of nature and his attachment to Céret.
In 1948, with the help of Frank Burty Haviland and the municipality of Céret, Brune set about building up the collection that would form the Musée d’Art Moderne. Taking the role of conservationist, he focused on the artworks of those artists who had come to Céret to paint: Picasso and Matisse played major roles in this project, with Picasso donating 29 works and Matisse 14. The museum finally opened on 18th June 1950.